A foley catheter, also known as an indwelling catheter, is a thin tube that drains urine from the bladder. If your child is using a foley catheter due to an injury or medical condition, you need to know how to care for it properly.
Seeking the services of a pediatric home health agency in Missouri City, Texas is beneficial. In addition, you also need to know the following:
Cleaning Your Child’s Catheter
Cleaning the catheter is necessary to prevent infections. You and your child should know the following cleaning tips:
- Be sure to wash the hands with soap and water before handling the catheter.
- Do not forget to wash the genital area, too.
- Clean the catheter from top to bottom, meaning from where it enters your child’s body then downwards.
- Do not forget to rinse everything well.
- Be gentle in drying the genital area and the catheter.
If you are taking advantage of the services of a home health agency in Houston, Texas, a care professional can assist you and your child in this task.
When to Seek Medical Attention
Complications may arise with the use of a foley catheter. Observe your children thoroughly. Seek medical attention if you notice the following:
- Bleeding from your child’s urethra
- Symptoms of a possible infection such as fever, swelling, and pain in the genital area, and a burning sensation when urinating
The pediatrician can check the situation further. They may also order additional nursing care for your young one.
Your children need thorough and loving care. CN Healthcare, Inc. provides a wide variety of pediatric home healthcare services. Through these services, we can meet your loved ones’ needs. Call us today.